From Parentvoice

Jump to: navigation, search
Home Education Equipment Family support Health and therapies Money and legal About us Contact us

Section: Education

Subsection: Who's involved

Parent Partnership Guide

Parent Partnership Guide-What they Do


The Parent Partnership Service provides impartial advice, information and support to parents/carers of children and young people with special educational needs. The service provides information, advice and support to parents/carers at all stages of their child’s school life, from pre-school early diagnosis through to leaving school. The Service offers:

  • a confidential helpline for parents/carers
  • general information on special educational needs
  • help for parents/carers to express their views
  • support during the statutory assessment process
  • help to complete forms and to understand complex documents and
  • reports
  • home visits and support at meetings
  • presentations to support groups.

For further information please ring 01962 845870 (24 hour answerphone) or go to


The work of an Educational Psychologist is often concerned with developmental difficulties involving learning, social, emotional, behavioural, physical or sensory needs. They look at ways of helping children make progress when they are experiencing difficulties.

Educational Psychologists :

  • have a responsibility for working with children from birth to 19 years of age
  • expect those who ask for our involvement to have first obtained the agreement of parents
  • are always keen to work closely with parents and carers, voluntary groups and professionals from other services
  • can be contacted directly by parents. However, if a child attends a preschool or school then it is usually helpful if a parent has first discussed their concerns with staff
  • assess children with special educational needs, help set targets for learning and monitor progress
  • undertake direct therapeutic work, such as counselling pupils
  • offer consultancy services and training to school staff, governors and others in the community
  • offer guidance and support to teachers and pupils in special schools
  • help early education settings and schools to provide individual educational programmes for children with learning and behavioural difficulties, physical and sensory impairments and language disorders
  • work with early education settings and schools to develop policies in areas such as the effective management of difficult behaviour and inclusion.

For more information please contact:

If you have concerns about your child, please contact the school/early education setting in the first place, but you may also contact the Educational Psychology Service that covers the area where you live. To help the service to decide on the best next step, with your permission, they will discuss your concerns with those that know and work with your child.

You can contact your local Educational Psychologist team direct:

Basingstoke and Deane - Dan Taylor - Fleet Office - 01252 814729
East Hampshire, Hart and Rushmoor - Julia Powell - Fleet Office - 01252 814727
Winchester and Test Valley - Barbara Gessler - Winchester Office - 01962 876239
New Forest and Eastleigh - Shelia Burton - Winchester Office - 01962 876239
Fareham and Gosport - Phil Stringer - Havant Office - 023 9244 1497
Havant - Gay Keegan - Havant Office - 023 9244 1497


The Portage Service offers a home visiting service helping and advising families with pre-school children who have special needs or significant behaviour problems. They all have experience of working with young children and children with special needs.

Portage workers are specially trained in home visiting methods and our training is regularly kept up to date. The service is a partnership between the child, parents/carers and the Portage Worker.

Portage is individually tailored to allow each child the best possible chance to reach his/her potential. See the website more information:


The Specialist Teacher Advisory Service accesses the needs of children with special educational needs from pre-school to post 16.

The service aims to help children with hearing impairment, physical disability and visual impairment to gain greater access to the curriculum.

The service also provides support to secondary schools for children with speech, language and communication needs – the Communication and Language team (CAL). This includes assessing the child’s needs, giving information, advice and support including guidance regarding specialist equipment. The team will also liaise with other agencies to help support your child’s progress.

EDUCATION INCLUSION SERVICE (EIS) The education inclusion service provides education and support for those children of statutory school age because they are physically unwell or emotionally vulnerable and where there is evidence from a medical professional that they are unable to attend school. The service also works with children excluded from school.