From Parentvoice

Jump to: navigation, search
Home Education Equipment Family support Health and therapies Money and legal About us Contact us

Section: Education

Subsection: Benefits

Benefits post 16

Benefits post 16

Disability Living Allowance (DLA)

Due to changes in the benefit system once your child reaches 16 they may not be able to renew their claim for DLA. Instead they will need to claim the new benefit, PIP (Personal Independence Payment). The government has produced a “PIP checker” tool so you can see if and when PIP will affect you. click here to view.

Becoming an Appointee

When a young person turns 16, they are expected to take on responsibility for any benefits they claim in their own right. But if they’re unable to manage their own affairs, you can become their ‘appointee’ for benefit claims. To become an ‘appointee’ contact the DWP who will arrange a home visit. This is usually a straightforward process and should not delay any claims that you are making.

Employment Support Allowance (ESA)

If your child is over 16 and has an illness or disability which affects their ability to work, they may be able to apply for Employment and Support Allowance. For more information click here.

Further details are available from Contact A Family‟s excellent guide click here to download for free or request from their helpline on 0808 808 3555.